Thursday 15 May 2014

             

Recently I happened to see the CNN Freedom project documentary titled, “Cocoanomics”.  It was compelling stuff about the life and conditions of Coffee plantation farmers living in Ivory Coast (the equatorial country that produces almost 40% of the world’s coffee bean). The featured documentary talked about the labor-intensive nature of the industry, the diseased and aging coffee plants as well as the issue of child labor. One of the most dis-believing part of this documentary was the fact that these coffee growers have had never tasted the chocolate before.
This was a good trigger point for me to write about the life of a coffee grower and so started doing the research. Many ideas and articles popped up that got me thinking as to where and how should I begin. Well most of the ideas (if not all) emerge from your backyard and so I decided to begin at the end of coffee value chain (i.e. Us) and work all the way upwards to the start of this value chain (i.e. the Coffee Grower). I have decided to split this into couple of blog posts mainly because of the length of the post. 

This is all that I have gathered as part of my research so far and will be using to draft my posts. 
Do read the post, "Coffee or Cup" that follows this post to get your dose of caffeine. 
Khushboo

No comments:

Post a Comment