Monday 4 August 2014

Getting started with Doodling

It was almost a month back when I did try to build up a case w.r.t the impact of doodling on learning and how all of us can indeed doodle. To reiterate again, three-fourths of our brain is wired for visual thinking and learning (i.e. parts of our brain processes information through visual clues and imageries). This means that we all have the ability to doodle.

Last time, I tried arguing why doodling must be supported instead of being discouraged, as was the case till now. The doodling bug continued to stay with me and I ended up gathering more information on doodling. This time the subject of research was around yet another significant question…

“How to get started with doodling?”

Several articles popped up my way. Some talked about the resources like (pen/paper/marker/highlighters/ pencils/ colour pencils etc.) as essential tools for doodling. Some talked about revisiting childhood days for source of inspiration whereas some talked about drawing anything and everything that they usually see. Couple of them especially emphasised upon, “letting the mind guide one through the process of doodling”. But nobody really offered a clear guidance on, “how to begin doodling”. It seemed that most of the people have assumed that doodling is a natural phenomenon and therefore no formal training or guidance is needed. Perhaps, these people have assumed that more you doodle, the better you will get or they perceive doodles as pure art.

Surprisingly, none of the articles talked about techniques of Doodling.

Doodle is just not about art but it is really a visual way to communicate ideas, thoughts and stories.

I then rephrased my key words and began researching again. My results took me to an interesting website called, “Roh design” (http://rohdesign.com). Roh Design is a website started by a designer named, “Mike Rohde”. Mike has this penchant for sketch notes- a really interesting visual way to capture a story. They are made live, as the story is told. An image can capture a huge amount of information. It is much easier to re-tell the story using sketch notes than it would be using written notes, as the images aide in remembering what has been said. More clues for the brain means better recollection!

Having validated the power of sketch notes, Mike Rhode authored the book titled, “the sketch note handbook”, a step-by-step guide to enable regular people benefit from this effective note taking technique. It is in this book, he talks about 5 essential elements as pre-requisites for effective sketch notes. Read about the 5 essential elements by visiting the embedded link (http://rohdesign.com/book).

I took those basic 5 essential elements to test out Mike’s Rhode hypothesis. I juggled with the elements and combined some together to create everyday objects. The hypothesis holds true.

Obviously, you will have to tweak the shapes to create desirable objects.

So, I had some essential elements at disposable but then I pondered upon, “Do I need to add something more”. This brought me to the idea that I might need different styles of line, dots and most importantly connectors (i.e. arrows, pointers) to organise my thoughts, ideas into a binding story.

To Mike Rhodes fabulous 5 list, I added some more basic shapes, few lines and connectors. Not to say the least, I did try to sketch note to organise the thoughts.

With these additions, I intend to take my doodling adventure few steps further.

I want to test out these in particular:











  • Is it possible to draw all sorts of things like, “human forms, plants, leaves, flowers, animals, objects, transports, skyscrapers, alphabets, numbers amongst others using these tools? If yes, how?
  • Can these elements (identified in the question above), be then used to develop a narrative doodling? How?

Till the time, I try answering these questions, I want you to think and answer these for yourself.

What do you generally doodle about? And how do you doodle? Or what techniques do you employ to make shapes/pictures/images/objects/ patterns etc.?

Khushboo

Stuffs that are worth talking about

No comments:

Post a Comment